Monday, August 1, 2011

It's been a long long, long time

I feel it would be boring if I told you all I have been up to while not blogging, so I'll just apologize and get on with the post.
I have not taken advantage of the strawberries like I had hoped. True, I have a week or two left hopefully to get my act together and jam some more, but nothing like I had planned.
I did, however, make some very tasty strawberry and kumquat jam a month ago which I'll share today. I used a three pint cartons of strawberries and a cup and a half of sliced kumquats




I mixed the kumquats and sliced strawberries with 7 cups of sugar and cooked it down for a bit then added a box of pectin (which I normally won't do but I wanted a bright strawberry taste). Next time I will cook it longer as the juice from the kumquats upset the balance between juice and pectin and it's a little too soft and as you can see above, it's a little foamy.

Last night I made a batch of Blackberry and Brown Sugar jam on the fly, due to the fact that a soon to be groom likes to eat it with a spoon and I wanted to get him something special.
The jam is a little harder to quantify, I had a heaping bowl full, maybe...10 cups of berries? 4 cups of brown sugar, 1 cup turbinado sugar and a lemon. I just cooked the berries and sugar down till it sheeted off a spoon and added the lemon juice. It made 3 pints of spectacular jam. My lovely cousin had given me a homemade loaf of bread that day and it has swiftly disappeared along with a half pint of the jam.

Speaking of grooms (see my poor transition there?) I am leaving this Saturday for Minot to go to a wedding! A fantastic wedding too, it's my darling friend's hitchin' to her man and I'm in charge of the cake!
So I will blog about the making of said cake as soon as I get back!
And expect a few blogs on corn canning and tomatoes and hopefully some white peaches in brown sugar!
Love, Me

No comments:

Post a Comment