Sunday, January 23, 2011

Lentil Soup and Plans for the Week

I am on a SUPER tight budget this week, so that means cheap meals! Lentils are insanely cheap in bulk and are full of protein and yumminess and other good things I'm sure, but the protein is the most important to me right now. And yumminess. That's important too.
So I whipped up a recipe that would tackle all the things I'm craving at the moment while being supremely healthy and it used up several of my home canned goodies and my homemade taco seasoning! Taco/Tortilla Lentil Soup/Gumbo/Chili is the result! Damn it's good. Come here so I can feed you.

Taco/Tortilla Lentil Soup/Gumbo/Chili

1 Cup Lentils, rinsed
3 Cups water, rinsed...
1 pint jar (or 1 14oz. can) crushed tomatoes
1 half pint jar unsalted tomato paste (8oz. can)
1 pint jar (1 can) sweet corn, drained
3-4 Tablespoons Taco seasoning (or one packet of storebought)
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 pearl onions, minced

Boil the water in a large saucepan, add garlic, onion and lentils. Bring back up to a boil and add tomatoes and tomato paste and seasonings. Simmer, covered, for ten minutes. Add the corn and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until lentils are al dente or to your liking.












Serves 4
Points Plus= 6 per serving
*Serves great with some sourdough bread and a sprinkling of cheddar cheese and a dollop of fat free Greek yogurt.*
 
Now for the week's plans...
Helmsley, the newly named puppet-in-progress, is going to be completed this week! I decree it! Besides, I got to get my butt started on the others.
He's coming along fine, I had to redo the fleece head covering once, and I have a lot of hand stitching to do on this one, but it's looking alright so far, huh?
Sorry, the photo's blegh, but I wanted to get this written quickly and I spent the majority of my effort on making dinner (see above).

He still needs a neck, a neck tie...yeah I didn't get it done last week...hands and rods and all the little finish-y bits like painting the eyeballs and adding the teeth. I don't anticipate any delays in completion, I have a better handle on what my shift change entails so that shouldn't factor in this week. The reach will be starting another puppet before the week is out, that may not happen. 
Apart from Helmsley, I have no lofty ambitions this week. I just want to complete a project and get that accomplishment under my belt.
I will update mid-week to show what's been changing with the little man.

No comments:

Post a Comment