Saturday, January 8, 2011

Marmalade Mistake?

So the marmalade wasn't quite at the level I had hoped. I think for once (this is so horrible to say) I prefer the super-sweet store marmalade. However,  I wanted a second opinion, and my aunt Karen loved it! So...half success? Maybe?
The marmalade is strong, and has a real bite to it. It's a little bitter as I didn't remove as much of the pith as I should have.
So here's the recipe if you like your marmalade strong.

Orange Marmalade

16 small oranges, hand peel all but 5 and discard the peel, roughly chop
8 to 10 cups of sugar
3 cups water
1/2 of a lemon, juiced

Using a vegetable peeler, peel the remaining 5 oranges, reserve the peels. Cut the remaining pith off the oranges and roughly chop.

Add all ingredients to a large pot and cook down on medium high heat until it reaches 220 degree or it sheets off a spoon.
 Pour into prepared jars and process for 10 minutes.

Ta Da!
There it is.

I made another jam, with the Pineapple Guava I had, but it turned out so weird I can't see the point in a recipe for it. I just kept tossing in extra bits and pieces of things, unset strawberry lavender jam, a bag of frozen mixed fruits. It's not great, but it's pretty looking.

Lovely, ain't they?

No comments:

Post a Comment