Friday, January 28, 2011

In a fog...

Frustrating week. I hate Helmsley. You hear that Helmsley? You piss me off!
He's not coming together the way I had hoped. I guess I was expecting to jump back into the puppet building business without any hitches, but that's not the case. his arms are too short, his lips are in bad shape, I have no idea what to do about his hair/hat situation anymore...rawr. I put too many white components together at once, he's got white teeth, cream skin, and a white button-up shirt...it's too much white! I don't think a color tie will break it up enough. Speaking of which, the tie I made was too short, his neck is wider than a person's neck so I have to go buy a regular tie...at least that means a trip to the thrift stores.
So anyway, here's a look at what Helmsley's up to these days.

He has a teeth plate now, I haven't decided whether or not to draw in teeth or to leave it as is. I also put the felt inside his mouth to cover the mouthplate.

He also has a torso and shirt.
He hasn't any pupils yet as that is the trickiest part, making sure they're even and looking at you.

So that's Helmsley so far...making me cranky. Hopefully I'll have a brainblast this weekend and figure out what to do about him, 'cause I'm ready to chuck him in the trash.












On a more cheerful note, I had a lovely tea party with my cousins this week, using the lovely dishes I picked up at a thrift store last Friday, and serving a lovely Japanese cheesecake. The tea was delightful, the company was charming and the cake with lime curd was delicious. I like the recipe so much I am going to post it here, with respect to it's author,  i bake for you.  http://i-bake-for-you.blogspot.com/2010/03/when-cheesecake-meets-spongecake.html

Japanese Cheesecake

1 cup light cream cheese, softened
3 1/2 tbsp butter
1/2 cup milk
6 eggs, separated
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup cake flour (low protein flour)
2 tbsp corn flour
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tbsp lemon essence (or 3 tbsp lemon or lime juice)

Bake at about 312F
Melt cream cheese, butter and milk in a double boiler.
Allow to cool.
Whisk egg whites until soft peaks. Gradually add sugar while whisking until stiff peaks.
Sift cake flour, corn flour and cream of tartar in a large bowl. Mix in cream cheese mixture, egg yolks and lemon essence.
Gently fold in egg whites.
Transfer mixture into a greased/lined baking pan. Wrap the sides and bottom of the baking pan/s with aluminum foil. Do not cover the top! (This helps prevent water from seeping through to the pan and cake mixture.)
Place baking pan into a large roasting pan. Fill roasting pan with boiling water about up to half way to the baking pan.
Bake for about 1hr or until cooked. (Will depend on pan sizes. Check with skewer. If it comes out clean, it is cooked)
Leave door ajar for about 45mins. (ie. leave an oven mitt in between door and oven to give about 1 inch gap for heat to slowly disperse. Don't open the door fully!)
Allow to cool completely on wire rack.

2 comments:

  1. The picture at the top is incredible! Could be a movie poster or something. Also, Helmsley can't help what he is.

    A nice scene from "Arrested Development"
    Gob: I can’t. I already lost a brother today.
    Michael: Franklin?
    Gob: Well, I didn’t lose him, but he’s all puckered and white.
    Michael: On the plus side, you can take him to lunch at the club now.
    Gob: [sobbing] That’s the exact kind of joke he would have loved! (Singing) You know it's true. Everything I do...
    Michael: Please don't do this.
    Gob:...I do it for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chris, yeah it could be the next M.Night Shamalan flick about fog...zombie fog.

    ReplyDelete